Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Diet is a dirty word...

so I refuse to call it a diet, but I'm trying like heck to make some changes to my eating habits. It's not the New Year that has gotten me motivated, but it's the fact that my next annual physical is due in July/August. At my last physical, a couple of my blood test results were not quite where I would like them to be. Since diabetes and heart problems run in my family, it's time to make some changes so I can see some better results at this year's physical. God knows, I still have plenty of waiting time to concentrate on this.

Over the past 1.5 weeks, I've lost 5 pounds on my non-diet (I think I shocked my system...what, no fries?). I've got about 10 more pounds to get back to my dossier weight (yes, I'm a stress eater), then another 50 pounds to start feeling more comfortable in my skin. Here's my non-diet plan:


  • Eating lots of fresh fruit and veggies - 2 to 3 servings of fruit per day and fresh veggies (raw, grilled, sauteed)
  • Eating whole grain breads, oatmeal and high fiber cereals - We tried the new Ronzoni pasta last night that's between regular pasta and whole wheat pasta. It has 3x the fiber than regular pasta and added calcium...tasted like the regular stuff to me.
  • Reducing saturated fats in favor of olive oil and nuts (better for you fats).
  • Reducing the amount of "processed" foods and eating more fresh foods.
  • Cooking with fresh herbs, garlic and citrus. Dill and a little olive oil is fabulous on roasted baby carrots. I've also discovered that home-made pesto is really good and just a few spins of the food processor (makes me wish I had a basil plant).
  • Eating grilled fish once or twice a week. We are having grilled honey teriyaki salmon with garlic parmesan green beans tonight.
  • Drastically reducing sweets...my Starbucks non-fat mochas have gone from daily to once or twice a week. The rest of the time I make my own Starbucks breakfast blend at the office.
  • Eating healthy, small snacks between meals - a few wheat crackers and one of those Laughing Cow cheese wedges, oranges, apples, grapes, popcorn, etc...
  • Last, but definitely not least since this is the hardest part for me, is drastically reducing my serving sizes. If something tastes good, I have no control and just keep eating until I'm stuffed. I'm trying to be more conscience of when I'm starting to get full and backing away from the plate!

I know that my non-diet is really just plain, old-fashioned healthy eating, but for me it's some pretty big changes and you know what they say about change...it's not always easy. It takes effort, especially at dinner time to come up with quick and healthy alternatives to fast food and restaurant take-out.

Well, wish me luck and jump on the bandwagon if you can muster up the motivation. I know it's hard, but at some point you need to just make the decision to start. Also, I'd love any suggestions or recipes you all may have for fresh, healthy dinner options.

26 comments:

Catherine said...

Sounds like you and I have very similar eating habits. I'm going to try some of your non-diet techniques as I have much to lose.

If I find any neat recipes I'll let you know.

keep up the great work!!

Joannah said...

Good for you! Everything on your list sounds delicious.

Dawn and Dale said...

Yeah Donna!!! I LOVE your new plan!! It's basically exactly what I did to loose all my weight!! (I need to start on my "non-diet" again though cause man...lately I'm doing no good!!) lol

Another HUGE thing I did was no snacking after 6pm!! At all!! That was my Oprah tip!! lol She says not even a single grape!!! lol I get hungry in the evenings and it's my worst time to just sit and eat! She said that when your tummy gets that "I'm hungry feeling" in the evening...if you can "ignore" it and not eat...it's then that your body takes from your fat restores instead of using what you'd eat then!! Seemed to really work for me!

If I did get hungry in the evening...I'd just drink a few full glasses of water or make myself a cup of tea! A good evening walk worked well too to take my mind off of it! Man...did I even have to eat my breaky as soon as I woke up though!! lol

Good luck!!! I think I'll join ya again as well!!! :)

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

Don`t forget water, water, water.

I too struggle with portion control and impulse control when it comes to food. This means a variety of snack foods never make it into my house. If I buy it I will eat it... all of it... in one sitting.

Don`t forget the dairy, more and more research suggest dairy really does rev the metabolism.

Don`t forget the exercise. I HATE to exercise so my trick is to sneak in activity. Stairs instead of elevators, park in the back of the lot, turn on music while you clean, it makes you move faster.

Enjoy your new eating plan. Remember the longer you do it the easier it gets.

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

One more.

Minute Rice makes a brown rice now. This is huge in our house. It cooks in just 10 minutes. This makes it an easy way to make a quick snack or side dish when you need a little something more.

All Bran makes a cracker that has a good deal of fiber too.

OziMum said...

I hear ya! I'm on holidays.. that means, eating crap, ALL DAY!

I decided yesterday, enough was enough - and here I am tonight eating a light leafy salad with grilled steak and oven baked potatoes (no oil - just that oil-spray gear). Now lets just see if I can withhold dessert!
My weakness is definitely sweets.

OH MY #6 said...

Absolutely, this is one of life's biggest challenges! My hat is off to you.

Lea

Melissa said...

Sounds great Donna! I am always looking fo rnew recipes so if you get a good one pass it on! I'll e - mail you one later.

Anonymous said...

Good for you - seems like the way to go!

4D said...

Good for you! It is about making a life change and not a temporary fix. We are trying to implement new and healthier foods at home too.

Keep smilin!

Lisa and Tate said...

WOW!!! Sound like a good way of not dieting!! I just think I just might adopt this way of eating for myself.... I will add that I will try to cut down on the coffee consumption of cream....

Way to go on the battle.

Ava Baby said...

That's great, Donna. I'm trying to loose some weight right now as well and it's definitely no fun but I think we'll both be happy we stuck with it. Good Luck! Michele

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I wish you ALL the very best on this plan! Hooray for being sensible and actually doing it properly. Fad diets just take the weight off for a little bit of time. Good luck, I know you can do it!!!!!!!!!!

Kayce said...

Your plan is the best diet in the world! You'll have great success!

Christie said...

You go girl!! You can do it!

Polar Bear said...

Sounds like a great plan! I have been trying to do lots of those things since the first.

I'm a stress eater too. :(

S and H said...

Donna, I have been doing South Beach and I have lost 22 lbs. It has really been easy - believe it or not! Once you get past the first few days you don't crave sugar and carbs any more it is a breeze!! Way to go on your loss!

Shannon said...

Your plan rocks! I'm cheering you on and hoping your motivation and success rub off on me! =)

Kim said...

I am with you..
I need to start.. and just eating right is the way to get it done..
I just have to get motivated..
You are helping..
Good luck girly..

Allie, Katie and Harper's Mom said...

Donna,

Thanks for stopping by my blog
and the tips for Chinese New Year
I will be going to the event and
Joining FCC. I look forward to
seeing you there!!! Your new way
of life is right on target with
the plan I am on. La Weight Loss
the key is to not treat it or call
it a diet!! I have lost about 10-
inches and 13-pounds so far. You
can do it!! I KNOW YOU CAN!!!

Look forward to seeing you soon!!!


Sindy & Allie

Suz said...

I hear you too - I want to be able to run to the top of the Great Wall (hopefully soon) and celebrate the moment when we finally get to go!!! I even started a new blog www.thelongweight.blogspot.com to help myself stay motivated - My skinny hubby picks his favorite recipe of the week for me to post and share- stop on by!
Suz

Krista, Darrell and Riley said...

Sounds like a great plan. I think I will join in on the non-diet plan. I really would like to shed a few pounds and be as healthy as possible. Thanks for the sweet note you left on my blog about my dad. It's been hard but I have fond memories of him. Have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Krista

Carol said...

I'm doing this as well, although the weekends are my weak point.....I love Mexican and a new place just opened...I have to go and support this wonderful business....LOL

Shelley said...

I know you can do it, Donna. And I'm right there with ya. It's an every day focus here, but it has to be.

Try proteins between meals (like a stick of string cheese, a cup of cottage cheese, hb egg, or a cup of milk). They help your body metabolize your meals.

You know I'm back doing the low carb thing for the next 8 weeks so we'll have to check in on one another.

I'll have to send you my recipe for my low carb, low fat Summer Burritos. To die for.

Amy said...

I think everyone struggles with this. I'm trying to focus on eating better too. Emily just got a new cookbook from the library. It is Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife). She has you mixing pureed veggies in with other foods to add to the nutritional value without affecting taste. (supposed to work with kids...) I'm going to try a few receipes but will probably buy baby food instead of doing my own pureeing.

I also recently read an article about organic foods being higher in nutritional value. If you eat all organic fruits, veggies, milk, ... it is like getting an extra serving of fruits and veggies a day! So, I think I'm finally switching to organic milk even though it is more expensive.

comingaroundagain said...

Congratulations on losing!! ;-)

I also made changes a few years ago - and BY FAR what yielded the greatest weight loss / benefits were especially these 4 things you mentioned:

~Reducing saturated fats (the more restricted the better!) as well as hydrogenated fats
~Reducing the amount of "processed" foods
~Eating lots of fresh [foods] fruit and veggies
~Eating whole grain. . . and high fiber . . .

I also felt so much better all the way around. . . .